POSITION TITLE: Production Supervisor, Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance
SUPERVISES: Martha Graham Center Technical Staff
REPORTS TO: General Manager, Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance
LOCATION: New York, NY
THE COMPANY: The Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance, Inc.
The Martha Graham Center seeks a Production Supervisor to coordinate and supervise all production activity for the Martha Graham Center (including the Martha Graham Dance Company, School, and Resources), manage facilities for the Center, and tour domestically and internationally with the Martha Graham Dance Company.
- Hire, supervise, and coordinate all technical staff, including Production Assistants, Lighting Supervisors, Wardrobe Supervisors, and Production Interns. When and if necessary, in consultation with the General Manager, terminate such staff. Direct and supervise all resident crew personnel at partner venues.
- Strive to ensure the safety of Center personnel and the safekeeping of Center property
- Ensure that production activity remains within the Center’s financial limitations as outlined in the annual budget; creatively seek budget reductions when appropriate and necessary. Offer production expertise in developing the annual budget.
- Supervise and coordinate set, costume, and prop building and repair; remain familiar with the technical property inventory
- Represent the Center with the utmost professionalism at all times; facilitate communication between Center staff and partner venues
- Coordinate the flow of information and property between all three Center departments, remaining aware of Company, School, and Resources inventory
- Maintain and update (or cause to be) production related paperwork as necessary, including: Center’s technical rider; lighting plots, cue sheets, and track sheets; freight shipment lists, bills of lading, and carnets when shipping Center’s property; review and maintain Center’s historical production paperwork
- Research and secure vendors for freight transport ensuring the timely transport of property; supervise and take part in all load-ins and loads-outs, whether from or to the warehouse, storage facility, rehearsal studio, School, or Theater. Supervise backstage set up at partner venues including crate and hamper packing and unpacking, dressing room assignment, and theater signage
- Create Technical Schedules for international tours and domestic tours and seasons and update call boards with casting and schedule changes
- With assistance from and in consultation with the Artistic Director and Sr. Artistic Associate, support the rehearsal process when appropriate by moving sets and large props to the rehearsal studio, learn about the technical requirements of new and reconstructed work, and proactively coordinate technical aspects of rehearsal
- Call the show in technical rehearsal and performance for the Martha Graham Dance Company and, when possible, Graham 2 and School student performances
- Support Graham 2 and School
- Become familiar with the activities and programs of Graham 2 and the School in an effort to anticipate technical needs
- Call shows in technical rehearsal and performances whenever possible
- Secure substitute staff for the School when Company events conflict with School performances
- Become familiar with Resources projects and provide technical support when necessary
- Transport Resources property to and from the warehouse, supervising load-in and load-out as required
- Maintain the theatrical equipment in the Martha Graham Studio Theater for optimal functionality
- Serve as the technical liaison for artists renting the Martha Graham Studio Theater
- When possible, be present as the technical personnel representing the Martha Graham Center for all showings that have technical elements, technical rehearsals, and performances
- Secure substitute staff for rentals that conflict with Martha Graham Dance Company performances
- Manage the Center and School facilities in collaboration with the General Manager and School administrators and respond to issues relating to all Martha Graham spaces
- Other similar duties from the Executive Director and General Manager as may be considered necessary for the proper execution of Center’s technical work
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Skills and Interests
- Exceptional attention to detail and organization
- Excellent interpersonal and social skills
- Positive attitude and collaborative spirit
- Interest in the performing arts and knowledge of the dance field
Education and Experience
- BA or BFA in Dance or Theater related subject preferred
- Three years minimum of experience in dance production
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel and QLab
- Familiarity with and dedication to nonprofit work
- Commitment to serving the artistic mission
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed
- Ability to travel freely into and out of the United States; must have a valid passport and a US driver’s license
This is a full-time mid-level position with benefits including paid vacation and health insurance. Salary commensurate with experience. Travel required.
The Martha Graham Center and School are anti-racist institutions and are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Applications from populations that have been historically underserved and from those who are aligned with the Center’s DEI commitment are strongly encouraged.
The Martha Graham Center is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate for reasons of race, color, creed, religion, age, marital status, membership in a domestic partnership, veterans or uniform service member status, gender, pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnic or national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, or any other protected characteristics under applicable federal, state and local laws.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Email a cover letter of application and resume to email@example.com, subject—Production Supervisor. Please note that telephone and mailed inquiries or applications will not be accepted. We are unable to acknowledge all applications but we will reply should next steps be in order.