NEXT@Graham is a presentation of the popular Martha Graham Studio Series.
Through a two-step application process, a range of new choreography will be selected for performance in the Martha Graham Studio Theater. This process is open to early and mid-career artists from the Tri State area. The 2020 presentations will take place on May 12th and 13th.
Artistic Director Janet Eilber and a panel of choreographers and arts professionals will select participants from the pool of applicants. After the performance, one of the selected choreographers will be chosen to participate in the 2020/2021 Graham Resident Artist Program. This residency provides free rehearsal space, a technical rehearsal, and the opportunity to perform again in the 2021 NEXT@Graham.
For more information please contact NEXT@Graham Producer Amanda Hameline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FIRST ROUND APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS and DETAILS
ONLINE APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 22, 2019
APPLICATION FEE: $35
- Apply through the NEXT@Graham Google form online HERE
- Pay the application fee HERE
- Applications will not be accepted via email or hard copy
- If your work is not yet complete at the time of application please submit a representative sample AND a link to a previous, completed work. Selection committee will view 5 minutes of your work IN TOTAL. If you submit a video longer than 5 minutes, please include a time code in your application so the panel knows which section to watch
- Your piece must be under 12 minutes and include fewer than 6 light cues
- All applicants must be based in the Tri State area
- All applications will be viewed by an artistic panel led by Artistic Director Janet Eilber
SECOND ROUND APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS and DETAILS
INVITIED IN-PERSON AUDITION FOR SECOND ROUND APPLICANTS: February 23, 2020
- Approximately 20 applicants from the first round will be invited for an in-person audition
- Choreographers will have 20 minutes to perform their proposed work and answer questions
- 2nd Round Choreographers must attend the February 23rd audition to be considered for NEXT@Graham
FINAL SELECTED CHOREOGRAPHERS RECEIVE:
- One performance in the Martha Graham Studio Theater May 12 or 13 at 7pm with a 30-minute tech rehearsal on either May 10 or May 11
- Production support and lighting consultation from Graham technical staff
- Promotion on the Martha Graham Dance Company’s popular social media channels (Instagram 176K, Facebook 167K and Eblasts 12K)
- A dedicated NEXT@Graham press release to NYC dance and artistic press outlets and journalists
- Two comp tickets to NEXT@Graham performances
- Professional photos and film of your work free of charge
- $10/hr rehearsal space in the Martha Graham Studios
- Exposure to top curators and presenters who are invited to attend and provided complimentary tickets
Please note: Selected choreographers are required to pay a $125 production fee to defray production expenses.
Have more questions that aren’t answered here?
Reach out to Amanda Hameline at email@example.com.
NEXT@Graham is a part of the Martha Graham Dance Company’s popular Studio Series. For more information, visit marthagraham.org/studioseries.